The causes of erectile dysfunction in men with diabetes are complex and involve impairments in nerve, blood vessels, and muscle function. To have proper erection, men need healthy blood vessels, nerves, male hormones, and a desire to be sexual activity. Diabetes can damage the blood vessels and nerves of the penis. So even if you have normal amounts of male hormones and desire to have sex, still may not be able to achieve a firm erection.
Whether ED in men with Diabetes Mellitus is treatable?
Yes ED (Erectile dysfunction) in diabetic men is treatable. There are medicines help achieving and maintaining an erection. PDE5 inhibitors are effective in the treatment of ED. But Erectile dysfunction treatment should not be taken without proper evaluation and medical advice. Even you may have to undergo a cardiac evaluation before starting drugs like Viagra. People with diabetes mellitus may also have problems with their heart. Therefore the above medications will not be appropriate and could cause dangerous interactions with some heart medicines. So do not take ED medicines without medical evaluation and a valid prescription.
There are other methods of treatments like intra cavernous injections, vacuum erection devices, penile prosthesis implant operation and sex therapy. Vacuum erection device is an outdated method.
So which treatment is good and effective for you depends on many factors. Talk to your doctor and avoid self medications
Our team of doctors at Dr. Promodu’s Institute of Sexual & Marital Health Pvt. Ltd includes the following specialists and senior consultants.
- Clinical Psychologist & Sex Therapist
- Clinical Psychologist & Marital Therapist
- Diabetologist & General Physician
- Urologist & Andrologist
- General & Laparoscopic Surgeon
We treat the following Sexual Problems
- Erectile dysfunction
- Premature Ejaculation
- Loss of sexual desire / lack of sexual desire
- Delayed ejaculation / retarded ejaculation / male orgasmic dysfunction
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Sexual aversion disorder
- Fear to engage in sexual intercourse / Fear of sexual activity / fear of sex/ fear to engage in coitus / Avoiding sex due to fear
- Difficulty to engage in sexual contact / Difficulty to engage in sexual intercourse
- Unconsummated marriage